Tuesday, February 9, 2010

JPdfBookmarks 2.1.0

JPdfBookmarks 2.1.0 is now ready for download. This release fixes some bugs and adds the features of text extraction from a rectangle in the PDF page and the possibility to use the system clipboard in a convenient way. 
The text extraction tool can be activated from the "Tools" menu, from the toolbar  button or with the shortcut "CTRL + ALT + T", when the tool  is active you can drag the mouse on the page to draw a rectangle over the text to extract. On the status bar (lower left) you can read a preview of the extracted text, at least a portion of it, if there is no text in the status bar than the extraction has failed. After you have extracted the text it will be used automatically has the title of the next bookmarks you will create until you deactivate the tool or extract a new portion of text. Sometimes the program will fail to extract the text (always check the status bar to diagnose this), try to redraw the rectangle larger or smaller and if it continues to fail I suggest to give up, this is where the tool "Use System Clipboard" can help. When that tool is active you can copy text from any other program to the system clipboard and it will be used automatically as the title of the next bookmarks created, the connection also works in the opposite sense so when you extract text using JPdfBookmarks it will be also automatically copied to the system clipboard, but remember  that this is only if the tool is active. 
I hope you will find new features useful and the software a bit more stable than the preceding versions, please remember to give some feedback thank you. 

11 comments:

Greg said...

First off I'd like to thank the author for creating this great utility.

I just downloaded this program and I can't find a way to point a particular bookmark to another PDF file. I thought I saw the option in the screen shots of the older versions. Is this option still available in the current release? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

flavianopetrocchi said...

Hello Greg, sorry but the option to point to another file has never been present in JPdfBookmarks maybe you saw it in another software. It is possible that in a future release I will implement it if people like you show interest in it. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff, thanks for the work! However, I am having trouble using the cli version. It gives me a "PDF header signature not found." when I do "jpdfbookmarks --apply input.pdf bookmarks.txt --out output.pdf". This is with a PDF that I created from a tex source via pdflatex. Any clue what's the cause of the problem? With the gui version, it's all fine, but it'd be a lot easier for me from the command line.

Best, maddox

flavianopetrocchi said...

Hello maddox, please send me the pdf file and bookmarks.txt that are showing that error via e-mail (you can find my address in the program about box or in the README file), this is probably a bug so it's important for me to understand what is going on. Thank you for reporting it.

Kao said...

I just want to thank you for this great utility. It's been very useful for me!

flavianopetrocchi said...

Thank you for posting Kao, I take this opportunity to say that I am implementing support for bookmarks from one pdf to another as an anonymous user requested in a post here, will be present in the next release.

Slavko said...

Thank you very lot!

I search similar program some months and this is all what was missing :-)

Unknown said...

Hello,

Looks just like THE tool where I was looking for however I can't getting it working on my ubuntuserver (I like to use it as command I like to start from my php application). I get the following messages (also I start it from the commandline (ssh):
Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
at sun.awt.HeadlessToolkit.getScreenSize(HeadlessToolkit.java:279)
at it.flavianopetrocchi.jpdfbookmarks.Prefs.(Unknown Source)
at it.flavianopetrocchi.jpdfbookmarks.JPdfBookmarks.setModeByCommandLine(Unknown Source)
at it.flavianopetrocchi.jpdfbookmarks.JPdfBookmarks.start(Unknown Source)
at it.flavianopetrocchi.jpdfbookmarks.JPdfBookmarks.main(Unknown Source)

Kind regards
Kim

flavianopetrocchi said...

Thank you very much for this post, I was about to publish a new release but now I will wait until I resolve this bug which I classify as severe. If possible send a message to my personal e-mail address, you can find it in jpdfbookmarks README and about-box, so that I can keep you informed. Thank you again, best regards.

Ivan said...

Dear Flaviano,
I wish to thank you for creating such a beautiful and efficient utility. T.S.Elliot once wrote: "Simplicity is most difficult to achieve because it requires no more than absolutely everything." You have achieved!
Best regards, Ivan

flavianopetrocchi said...

Thank you very much Ivan, this kind of feedback is very important for who spends his time in a free project, soon there will be a new release with some new features stay tuned.
Best regards, Flaviano.